There have been a lot of articles on the Samsung Galaxy Tab but now is the time to look at the actual product. The Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 is by far best Android tablet to date. When it comes to comparing it with the iPad the main difference is the screen size. The iPad having 9.7 inches and Samsung having 7 inches, which make the iPad something you put in your laptop bag and take out only when really needed.
Before we move on, let’s take a look at the specifications of Samsung Galaxy TAB P1000:
- Display: TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors 7 inch, 1024 x 600 pixel
- OS: Google Android v2.2 froyo
- CPU: ARM Cortex A8 processor, one GHz processor
- GPU: PowerVR SGX540
- RAM: 512MB
- Storage: 16GB or 32GB of flash storage, plus a microSD card slot for expansion
- Connectivity: 802.11b/g/n WiFi, Bluetoth 3.0, A-GPS
- GSM Network: 2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE) : 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz; 3G (HSUPA 5.76Mbps, HSDPA 7.2Mbps) : 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- Camera: 1.3MP front-facing camera, 3.15 MP, 2048×1536 pixels, autofocus, LED flash on back, 720p HD video recording and with a feature
- Video support: DivX, Xvid, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, WMV
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Geo-magnetic sensor, Gyroscope, light sensor
- Battery: Up to 28 h (2G) / Up to 25 h 30 min (3G)
- Dimensions: 7.5″ 4.7″ 0.5″
- Weight: 380 g
- Optional Accessories: Keyboard, stylus, TV-out cable, car dock, covers
Customizations made by Samsung
We have always seen Samsung come out with new stuff and with its own special customizations. Same is the case here, they have done a lot of customization on the Galaxy TAB Android tablet. It is using the Android OS and feels like an Android too, but it doesn’t look like it in anyway. The same Touch Wiz custom user interface can also be found on this Samsung product. Samsung has redesigned a lot of apps and have even replaced some too. While there’s still support for Google Android Marketplace, but you can also use the Samsung App store and download some cool stuff from there and all these applications are specially designed for the Galaxy TAB. A notable mention must as well be made about the special folders, Readers Hub, Media Hub, Music Hub and Social Hub, you can order things according to these four areas of interest as their names suggest, this is a very different feature from any Tablet out in the market.
The unique built of the Android 2.2 froyo is modified to support the 1024 x 600 pixels resolution of the 7 inch screen. The other Android apps will scale or break. However, don’t you worry too much about it, as Samsung said they will upgrade from Android 2.2 to Android 3.0 as soon as it comes out, so there will be support for the bigger resolution.
The Feel of the Product
As Expected from Samsung, the installed one GHz chip makes this tablet go with high speed. After considering the hardware used it is hard to imagine that the Samsung Galaxy Tablet as sluggish as the custom Samsung Touch Wiz user interface doesn’t seem to slow down things at all. And the dimensions and the weight are quite good.
With everything considered it makes Samsung Product a winner because all things are in the right proportion.