Ever faced a situation where you needed to crack open your BIOS password? Well, most people tend to ignore memorizing a BIOS password, and this ends up causing them more trouble. So what do you do when you forget your BIOS passwords? You try to crack it open using some physical computing skills or through the help of a software. Remember though that the process to break BIOS passwords for a laptop and a desktop PC varies, regardless of the operating system involved. Here is a short guide to break bios password for a desktop PC later followed by a laptop.
Break BIOS Password for Desktop:
In case of desktop PC erasing the CMOS memory will clear the password. In order to do, follow the steps given below:
1. Turn off your PC and unplug it.
2. Now open the case of your CPU. Make the access to your motherboard.
3. Search for the circular silver metallic object on your motherboard. This silver metallic object is the CMOS battery.
4. Be careful while removing the battery and leave it for 120-180 seconds. By doing so, this will erase the entire memory i-e bios password and other configuration that is stored on it.
5. Fix the battery in its place again and close your CPU case.
6. Now turn on your computer, your computer should warn you that CMOS configuration could not be found.
7. But don’t worry about it as you can reconfigure it yourself or restore the default. It’s good if you select the restore the default option.
8. You will notice the change that the bios password has been cleared and you can boot your PC without entering it. While you can also set the password again too.
Break BOS Password for Laptop:
When it comes to a new laptop, your in for a hard time if you forget the BIOS password, as some laptops have security chips placed on the motherboard. If this happens, you cannot access the motherboard physically like the desktop. Now either remove the chip physically or contact the manufacturer and ask for the master password. If you are able to boot any cd or floppy then try any of the methods given below:
- Create a bootable media either of Win98SE or you can try anything else too but select the on that will allow you to boot MS-DOS, and boot of it.
- When A:> prompt appears then type debug and press enter.
- You will see a “-”.
- Type o 70 2E “including the spaces” and press Enter.
- Now type o 71 ff “including spaces” and press Enter.
- After this type q and press Enter.
If still you are unable to crack the password, there are a number of softwares available that will help you out and will clear the BIOS password.